Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey said this summer, "I don't think Gronk's good. Let me say -- I don't think Gronk is as great as people think he is."
Against the Texans last week, Gronkowski had a 7/123/1 line including a 21-yard touchdown against a double team. Facing Ramsey and the Jaguars in the AFC Championship Game last year, however, Gronk had just one catch before exiting the game with a concussion.
The outspoken cornerback attributes much of Gronk's success to having all-time great Tom Brady throwing him passes. Of course, that will raise the game of any pass-catcher.
Either way, Gronk has essentially shrugged off Ramsey's comments.
"I mean if that’s how he feels, that’s how he feels," Gronkowski said. "It’s a big game this Sunday. We’re playing them. I’m sure I’m going to have opportunities to go versus him. I’m sure he’s going to have opportunities to go versus me. So I’m just preparing like I always prepare."
It will be interesting to see how much Ramsey matches up with Gronk and which player gets the better part of the other.
More tight end notes:
- Going into the season, the tight end position was top-heavy. Now Delanie Walker is out for the season and Greg Olsen (broken foot) hopes to play again in 2018, but his next game won't be any time soon. One potential waiver-wire replacement is Indianapolis Colts tight end Eric Ebron, who had four catches for 51 yards and a touchdown. Ebron is still available in roughly half of Yahoo! leagues.
- There weren't many reasons for Raiders fans to get excited on Monday Night Football, but Jared Cook was one of them. The team leader in receiving yards (688) and 20-yard receptions (10) in 2017, Cook paced the position in yardage in Week 1 with a 9/180 line on 12 targets. Surprisingly, Cook has just three touchdowns in 43 combined games since 2015, but Cook is a top-12 fantasy tight end for Week 2.
- In a difficult matchup against the Vikings, who allowed the fewest fantasy points to opposing tight ends in 2017, San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle had a strong performance (5/90) although he would have had a bigger day if he didn't drop what would have been a wide-open touchdown. While durability could be a concern for his full-season outlook, the weekly matchup gets better as the Niners face the Lions in Week 2.
- When it comes to durability, Washington Redskins tight end Jordan Reed has struggled to stay healthy for a full season. But the talented tight end is healthy now and he posted a 4/48/1 line against the Cardinals on Sunday. Based on implied totals from Vegas odds, Washington is projected to be a top-five scoring team in Week 2.
- Fantasy Football PPR Tight End Rankings
More Fantasy Football Rankings: